WEAR THE SHIRT. SAVE THE WORLD.

WEAR THE SHIRT. SAVE THE WORLD.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

IT'S LIKE AN AD AGENCY....FOR THE HUMAN RACE.

This idea has been floating around in my head for a while. But then, I always have a whole sea of other ideas soaking there too. I guess that's one of the post-occupational hazards of being an adman.

I spent about 35 years creating ads and commercials for the world's biggest ad agencies and advertisers. In fact, I was one ot the first..er...ummm..."unwhite" folks hired in the creative department of a Big 10 ad agency after the riots that followed the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., April 4, 1968.

These days I call myself a recovering adman. Which brings me back...quite nicely...to why I think HumaneCom is an idea whose time...is way overdue. As a card-carrying citizen of the United States of America, I believe we need a counterbalance to centuries of an overwhelming commercial culture, where the few have sold products, services and political/social ideas to the many.

The result?

Our current Hypocracy masqueradimg as a Democracy, where fewer than 1% of our citizens control not only the wealth, but the market of ideas....and so, the future.

My idea for HumaneCom is to promote human, humane ideas that get US closer to the self-governing democarcy our leaders have always said we are...but which we've never been.

In other words, i want to do for humans what ad agencies have always done for corporations amd politicians. I want to sell humans on themselves. And my goal is not to destroy the great things that commercial culture has brought us, but to help strike a balance that works for all humans, not just the folks I call "Amerocrats".

"A fool's errand", did I hear someone think?

We'll see.

1 comment: